Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Aaron Watson talks about "July in Cheyenne"


Country music singer Aaron Watson will be at the Outlaw March 14 in support of his new album "Real Good Time."

During my interview today, I talked with him a little about his song "July in Cheyenne (Song for Lane's Momma) which talks about rodeo rider Lane Frost.




J: Can you talk about the song "July in Cheyenne"? Are you going to be playing that when you come to town?
W: I was up late one night and there was a rerun of  “8 seconds” at 1 or 2 in the morning and I wound up doing some research on Lane after that. Of course everyone thinks of him as this World Champion Bull Rider, but I came across an interview with him mom where she said that wasn't his greatest achievement. She said asking Jesus to be his savior was. That really struck home for me, because for us he is an icon. To her, that's her little boy. I just new I wanted to write a song about that right then.
J: That's really interesting to think about.
W: Yeah, it really is. Anyway, we are amazed at how popular the song is and we will probably make it a single in the future. She actually called me up a few months back to thank me for it. I haven't won a lot of awards, but that was an award I can hang in my heart forever and ever and those are the ones I want any way.


My story will run sometime in March ahead of the show, but I can't stress how thoughtful Watson was in his answers and how excited he was to come play in Cheyenne. Checkout the song and look for my story in the near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment